[rkward-devel] rules revised

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Jul 27 15:30:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 26 July 2009, meik michalke wrote:
> i did some work on the debian/rules file, mainly because i was finally
> annoyed enough i had to keep a seperate version for the ubuntu 8.04 lts
> release. instead, i was looking for an "one size fits all" solution that
> checks where it's running and applies patches, if applicable.

yes, that would really be nice.

I've commited this to SVN with some changes.

> the checks for R versions are tweaked a little as well, and updated after
> support for  < 2.7 has ceased. actually, the build won't even start any
> more if R is too old. awk is being called for this to work. make doesn't
> have too elaborate arithmetic features (e.g. "greater than" conditions...),
> does it?

In fact, make really isn't well suited for this. I like your solution with
awk. In fact, we would have gotten in trouble, soon, as I believe the R devels
plan to release the next version as 2.10.0, which would break the old code in
rules.

I removed the check for R >= 2.7, again. That should be specified in
debian/control, instead (and it is, now).

> another new call goes to lsb_release to get the distribution. if it's not
> ubuntu 8.04, the included menu patch will be ignored. so you can distribute
> the patch as well and don't have to worry about it. on the other hand, new
> patches for certain distributions could be added easily.
>
> could you give it a try and see if it works under debian as well?

This appears to work (at least the ubuntu 8.04 patch is not applied, here),
and I like the general approach. I'm wondering, whether this could be written
in more readable way, without using additional make targets for this (but
instead just setting a list of patches to apply). Perhaps I need to read up on
using dpatch, though.

Any reason why you reverted "dh_prep" to "dh_clean -k"? lintian complains on
the latter, so I've changed it again.