[rkward-devel] QtScript

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Dec 10 12:38:42 UTC 2009

hi,

am Donnerstag 10 Dezember 2009 (09:51) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> glad you like it.

i sure do. another *great* improvement is that rkward doesn't freeze
completely anymore if the plugin code is messed up. the error messages are
very helpful now when you're working on the script code.

> Originally, one reason for picking PHP as the scripting language was that it
> supports templating with "<? and ?>". But in fact, by now, I believe it
> probably did more harm than good for the plugins

i know what you mean. i often used echo() for small fragments in php already,
but over time some complex structures the like of

 if(foo){if(bar){<?
  lines of R code
 ?>} else {<?
  lines of  R code
 ?>}}
 else ...

evolved from a simple one-liner, which at a certain point i found ugly to
debug myself. especially as long as the global error message was like "now you
made me freeze, think again", which often translated to "you thought you just
changed a tiny bit, but let me tell you that now somewhere *else* in your
script one of 126 brackets or 243 semicolons is wrong or missing, and i won't
tell you where to look: good hunting" ;-)

> I.e. if there is only one statement after the "if", and it's on the same
> line, and nothing else is on that line, braces are not required.

yes, i was aware of that. i'll probably omit the brackets for single
statements in the future, if it's ok.

> Another small hint: To append to the end of an array in JS, you can also
> write:
>    array_variable.push (new_element);

actually i knew that, too, but was focussed on the functionality. would you
prefer the use of push instead of length? i didn't think much about it but
simply took the alternative that seemed to be more backwards compatible, but
surely we don't have to care about earlier JS implementations.

heinrich-heine-universit"at 40225 d"usseldorf