[rkward-devel] QtScript

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Aug 8 22:11:40 UTC 2009

On Saturday 08 August 2009, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> Any new thoughts?

Well, the PHP-backend just doesn't perform well on windows, and this can't
easily be fixed. That's the last real show-stopper in RKWard on window, and one
more reason for giving high priority to a new scripting solution. I definitely
want to have something before the next release (but whether we can drop PHP
completely by that time, remains to be seen).

The first step is still to write tests for all, or at least for most existing
plugins. A framework for that is in place:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Automated_Plugin_Testing
. If you have some time to work on the project, ATM, you should have a look at
this. (I'll have to focus on writing more tests, myself, next).

The second step is to implement the new scripting backend. This will use
Kross, and QtScript. After converting a few initial plugins, we'll do some
good testing on this, and evalutate, whether QtScript seems to meet our
expectations. Should issues come up, it will be easy to pick another language
in Kross.

The final step will be to convert all the remaining plugins, hopefully in a
mostly automatic way. And of course we'll have to test very carefully, if
everything still works (this is why the automated plugin tests are so
important).

So much for a very rough outline of the plan. We'll see how that works out.
But in any case, the first step is to write more plugin tests, and once again,
I'd like to encourage everybody to take a look at that.