[rkward-devel] rules revised

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat Aug 8 10:14:24 UTC 2009

[is it only me, or was this message sucked up by the system? sorry if you get
it a second time :: m.eik]

hi,

am Montag, 3. August 2009 (13:53) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > i don't know, i'm ok with both ways.
>
> I've just though of a third way. As far as I can see, Ubuntu hardy is the
> only distribution out there that still has kdelibs 4.0.x, so we might be
> fine just checking the version of kdelibs5-dev. Probably, also, the kdelibs
> package is where the problem is really at, so this may well be the
> "cleanest" way.
>
> What do you think?

i've just compiled all ubuntu packages. apart from the fact that the current
implementation is not quite doing the job (hardy wasn't recognised), i'm not
so happy with that way, even if it worked. first, it adresses some other
issue: for the make rules, it's not the kde version that's the problem, but
different paths for kde4 hardy is using. second, i could imagine that there's
other debian based distributions with older libs that would be mistaken for
hardy (resulting silently in a path messup, probably hard to debug, if someone
installs a selfmade package). and last, what if someone actually installs
newer kde4 libs in hardy? the path issue would still need fixing, but the
rules file would skip the patch.

so right now rules need to be altered by hand again for hardy, which of course
is what i wanted to avoid after all ;-) in conclusion, i'd still prefer one of
the other two approaches, because they actually aim to check the installed
distribution directly, not by assumption.

what about this: we add lsb-release to the build-deps for the time being, and
drop it again in april 2010, together with hardy support? [that is, if no one
uses the tool to discover other distribution details until then.]

> Well, I guess it could be argued that we really do depend on cmake,
> directly, but rkward does not actually use anything from libphonon. That's
> just to make linking with kdelibs5-dev work.

looks like a kdelibs5-dev bug (that was fixed in the meantime). however, i
would interpret "to make linking with kdelibs5-dev work" as kind of a
dependency ;-)

> As you might have seen, I gave Julien a note on our discussion, though,
> let's see, if he can convince us otherwise.

there was no reply yet, was there?

heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf