[rkward-devel] rules revised

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Aug 3 11:53:28 UTC 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009, meik michalke wrote:
> well, nothing awk couldn't handle. on the other hand, "lsb_release -s -i
> -r" still answers "Ubuntu 8.04" (distribution & release) -- to get "Ubuntu
> 8.04.3 LTS" you'd have to call "lsb_release -s -d" (description). so i
> wonder if lsb_release wasn't the cleaner solution after all?
>  - awking through /etc/issue would do it, but in a less readable way, and
>    it's more some dirty hack i think (because the issue file doesn't seem
>    a safe place to get reliable release information)
>  - lsb_release is clean and safe, but adds another build dependency
> i don't know, i'm ok with both ways.

I've just though of a third way. As far as I can see, Ubuntu hardy is the only
distribution out there that still has kdelibs 4.0.x, so we might be fine just
checking the version of kdelibs5-dev. Probably, also, the kdelibs package is
where the problem is really at, so this may well be the "cleanest" way.

What do you think?

> so i don't see this as a hardy issue but more general. i'd prefer to keep
> *all* packages *we* depend on in *our* dependency list, even if in most
> (but not all) cases these dependencies are probably already resolved by
> some other package. that's how i would interpret debian's policy:
>  o http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/footnotes.html#f13

Well, I guess it could be argued that we really do depend on cmake, directly,
but rkward does not actually use anything from libphonon. That's just to make
linking with kdelibs5-dev work. Anyway. Of course this is merely a matter of
aesthetics. And you're right, if there is no perfect all-round solution, then
we should put the priority on the practical side, and simply keep these build-
depends. I'll change that back in SVN, in a minute.

As you might have seen, I gave Julien a note on our discussion, though, let's
see, if he can convince us otherwise.