[rkward-devel] R 2.8.0 breaks rkward

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 22 18:17:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tuesday 21 October 2008, Michael Rutter wrote:
> I maintain Ubuntu packages on CRAN for amd64.  Today, the new version of
> R (2.8.0) came out, and I am unable to build an rkward package based
> around 2.8.0.  Turns out the decision has been made to remove Rdevices.h
> and Rgraphics.h from the installed portion of R.  They still exist in
> the source code, however.  Since Rdevices.h is not available to ubuntu,
> the build fails under hardy and intrepid.  Same problem with the package
> rpy.
>
> Not sure what the fix is, but at this point I think we are going to
> release R 2.8.0 builds for ubuntu without an update to rkward.  Would
> have found this sooner, but testing packages is one of the last things
> on the list.

thanks for pointing this out!

I'm still extremely short on time (and on a dialup connection). For all I can
see, the fix is as easy as removing the line
#include "Rdevices.h"
from rbackend/rembedinternal.cpp (around line 90). It simply was not really
needed, an now it breaks things. So, the fix is simple enough, however, I
won't get around to roll fixed packages too soon. Still, if you are a package
maintainer, you will know how to release a fixed package. I'd appreciate it a
lot, if you could look into that!

Note: I did not actually download and check R 2.8.0, so possibly other things
are borken as well. As for the missing header, the solution is simply to
remove the include line as detailed above.