[rkward-devel] wishlist / device save as

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Tue Jul 29 21:25:39 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag 29 Juli 2008 09:38:09 schrieb Dr. Robin Seidel:
> Dear rkward developers,
>
> thanks for the great package. Would it be possible to have a save to "svg"
> (via CairoSVG) for the current device? I am not sure this is easy to
> implement. But svg excellent for scientific publications as you can add
> complex annotations to your "r"-graph afterwards in inkscape which is much
> easier than in R itself.
> best regards
>
> robin

Hi Robin,

this is an outstanding issue for quite some time. Basically it is not to hard to implement but we
just lack manpower. Currently there is only little development happening behind the scenes but
promised we are working on this and other things. To comment on your workflow. I do it basically
the same way. But as workaround I use PS or PDF as export format from RKWard/R ¹ and than do some
command line conversion (pdf2svg (Debian) is a handy tool here) or use the direct  PDF import in
inkscape (> 0.4.6). That's why I never felt an urgent demand to implement it (But admittedly I
would like to see in RKWard too. Let's see.).
BTW, did I get you right? There are journals which accept SVG? Most jounals expect TIFF, JPEG, EPS,
PS only as far as I know. This would be a very wellcomed development.

Kind regards

Stefan