[rkward-devel] Status update

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Sep 19 11:26:11 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> > About creating new users, I have not taken any actions so far, as there's
> > still Prasenjits suggestion about using a Captcha to block bots. If
> > anybody has the time to look into how this can be done with MediaWiki, it
> > would be much appreciated.
>
> Okay, I try to do my best.

No need to worry anymore (unless you want to find a better solution than we
now have). When Yves pointed out that our MediaWiki should be updated, I did
that, and in the process found an easy way to include a simple math captcha.
However, there are still spammer accounts around (probably a whole lot), so
we'll continue to see spam in the wiki for a while (and have to clean that
up), until all such users are blocked.

> > Of course having the archive mirrored would be one more
> > reason to make extra sure spam never reaches the archive in the first
> > place.
>
> does this mean I should wait until all new actions regarding spam are
> established?

I've now set rkward-devel to allow posting for subscribers only, so go ahead.
Those who volunteered to help with moderation (Pierre, and Prasenjit, if I've
been keeping track, correctly) will receive a private mail with the moderator
password later today.