[rkward-devel] Status update

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Sep 18 14:52:51 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007, Jacolin Yves wrote:
> > http://recaptcha.net/plugins/mediawiki/
> >
> > This looks to be very simple... Again, I have very little (or no) idea
> > on webpage programming / maintenance, so I might be wrong in my
> > simplistic assumptions...
>
> It is really simple, give me the public and private key and I will try to
> do it this week (well before friday morning).

The bad news first: We can't use recaptcha, as it's for Mediawiki 1.8 or
higher only. We can't use Mediawiki > 1.6, as this requires PHP 5, and we
only have PHP 4.3 on the sourceforge webspace.

The good news: I've upgraded Mediawiki to 1.6.10 (was harder than I had hoped
for, but easier than I expected), and installed the "ConfirmEdit" extension.
This now provides a rather simplistic (but accessible) math captcha for new
user registrations (and in some other places; if it annoys you too much, we
can fine-tune things).

We'll see, whether or how much this helps.