[rkward-devel] KDE 4 status update

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 26 15:34:42 UTC 2007

Hi,

just a quick status update on the KDE 4 port. If you have time to do some
testing, refer to the instructions from the last thread:
http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?group=gmane.comp.statistics.rkward.devel&article=4
(did I mention, we now have a pretty mail archive a gmane.org? Thanks,
Stefan!).

The following components should now be (almost) fully functional:
- File browser
- Command log
- Pending Jobs
- R Console
- Help Search
- Script Editor windows
- Settings dialog
- X11 windows (i.e. what you get, when you run plot (1,1), or something
similar)

The following components are probably mostly functional, but I have not
actually looked at them in detail:
- Plugins
- Help browser windows
- Package management dialog (load / install / update)
- Object viewer (what you get, when you right-click on a object in the
workspace browser and select "View")
- General behavior, such as menus, window management, etc.

The following components may or may not be functional, but will need to be
reworked, heavily, so it does not make much sense to do extensive testing,
yet:
- Data editor
- Object / Workspace browser

You can help by testing any of the above components, and documenting bugs you
find in the TODO_KDE4 file. If you find a crash (I know, there are several),
it would be nice, if you could run rkward with
# rkward --debug-level 5 --debugger=valgrind 2> debug_output.txt
reproduce the crash, and post debug_output.txt somewhere (since the output
will get very large in most cases, if you have somewhere to place it on a
web-server, that would be optimal. Else trim it down to only the output that
happens from shortly before the crash to the end, zip it up, and post here).
Note: The program will run terribly slow in this mode, so don't kill the
process too early.
Instructions on how exactly to reproduce the crash, and backtraces (if
available) are also helpful in their own right.

What else can you do? Plugins and documentation generally are not affected by
the KDE4 port, so you can continue to write those as usual, if you like. For
this purpose, I recommend developing/testing with the KDE3 version, though.
Also, (for those with SVN access), please continue to commit your changes in
these areas to the "trunk", i.e. the regular branch in SVN. For now
the "KDE4_port" branch is only for things that are specific to KDE4. I'll
merge relevant changes, later.