[rkward-devel] Development plans

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 8 09:14:17 UTC 2007

On Sunday 07 October 2007, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> I would like to know if there is some interrest of Windows developers you
> maybe have heard of from another list or via private mail? Interestingly
> (and sadly at the same time) R has a huger user base on Windows and thus
> RKWard would have too.

Pierre indicated in private mail, that he hope to have some time to work on
the Windows port. I don't expect we'll attract any new windows developers
before we have at least a rudimentary windows port. So the plan is:
1) Port to KDE 4
2) Create a version that will run on Windows, even if many features will be
missing / broken initially
3) ...
4) Profit

> Moreover what will you do with all the problems related to X? For example
> the KDE-developers face a similar situation when it comes to KWin or
> certain parts of plasma.

Deal with them one at a time... I expect problems with X only for the graphing
windows, and I'm confident we'll find a hack to get things working, even if I
don't know how, yet.

> Just for planning. When is the next (bug fix) release planned (I guess
> December unless somebody discovers serve issues)?

I don't have a specific date in mind, so far. Whenever we feel we have found
and fixed a good number of bugs or done something else to warrant a release.
Since the scope of development will be more limited for the coming 0.4.x
releases, we can probably release them on relatively short notice.

I have just created the KDE 4 porting branch. This is the branch where the
porting will happen, and it will likely be broken for quite some time to
come. Once it contains a compilable / runnable version, this will become the
new main ("trunk") branch. As a first thing, I've started working on porting
the makefiles to cmake.