[RkWard-devel] Length and NAs

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Mar 26 23:10:07 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 March 2007 23:10, Stefan Roediger wrote:
> Another suggestion. What about "rk.descriptive.variables"? Might be nice to
> have in other places too.

Yes, might be nice to have in other places, as well. However, I'd rather make
it an embeddable plugin, then.

One reason is technical: We need to assign to several different fields of a
results object (in general a data.frame), and that's not easy to do in a
single non-cryptic R command.

The second reason is that I'd like to avoid creating convenience function that
actually "calculate" something. The "core" of the code generated from plugins
should not have too many rkward specifics, so you can also use it in plain R
sessions. Using custom convenience functions for providing a nice printout of
the results after the "real thing" is already done (like rk.header(),
rk.results()) is something different from actually using custom functions to
generate the results. (Note that we have a number of usages of
rk.get.description(), that I'd like to move further away from the actual
calculation, if I only had a good idea, on how to do this, yet).

With an embedded plugin we can solve this easily, as it can simply generate
plain R statements, that we still won't have to fix up in all plugins that
use this.

Anyway, something for after 0.4.7.

For now, I'll assume it's ok with you, if I turn this into a single GUI
option? Or do you have objections to this change?