[RkWard-devel] (re-)structuring settings UI

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 07:04:42 UTC 2007

Hi,

Here are my 2 cents on this issue. The main point is that there is too much of
screen space wasted. A nice and logical compactification is needed. As
always, I am not aware of the internal complications, so my comments might
sound ridiculous. I am attaching a kmdr script. If you guys do not use
kommander then I will provide image files later, let me know.

* Plugins tab:
	Move the two frame beside each other, that way we can save some space. Or
else make two columns: first column has the "dialog/wizard" frame and
the "lines of code" frame. Second column has the .pluginmap file selector.

* R-Backend tab
	Rename this to Backend and include the PHP-backend options here. The PHP
backend options are too few to deserve a separate tab.

* R-Packages
	Move this tab from the main settings UI to the Configure Packages UI, under a
new tab, say Repositories. I think this is the logical place for it. And
everything related to package management can be under one roof "Configure
Packages". Then the "Configure Repositories" button would not be needed.

* PHP backend
	Remove this tab completely.

* General tab:
	Rename this to Startup. This should be the first tab. The input, dropdown and
spinboxes are too wide. Structuring them column wise would be better.

* Output, Command Log, Console, Workspace tabs:
	Combine all of these into one tab, say General. When in future we support
export/integration to open document formats for Output, then the output
options might be given a separate tab or may be even a separate menu
entry "Configure Output". But as of now, for just two checkboxes we do not
need a separate tab.

Regards
PK