[RkWard-devel] Window navigation

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 08:44:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 01 March 2007 06:36:15 pm Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> 1) Does it work for you? Bugs?

Yes, it seems to work fine. But, if you have a few script files, and help
files open then being forced to go along a merry-go-round (no offence, just
being humorous!) to reach the RConsole or the Help search tool tabs is not
quite user friendly.

> 2) Suggestions on shortcuts for these actions (easy to remember and not yet
> taken)?
> 4) With these actions in place, do we really need additional actions to
> activate the Console / Browser / Log / ...? Or does this cover your needs?
> Would additional actions to activate the respective tool windows be helpful
> to discover those, or would they just add menu-bloat and confusion?

I will try to answer 2 and 4 together. My suggestion is this:

1. Use  Ctl + [ and Ctl + ] keys (like konqueror) to cycle thru the
script/help file tabs on the top. Alt instead of Ctl, <> instead of []?

2a) For the tool windows, I prefer a kate like approach. Use F4, F5,F6 and F7
to "activate (and pull up) / deactivate (and hide down)" the four tool
windows like a toggle switch.

2b) Another option for the tool windows might be this: Remember the last tool
window accessed (if nothing then default to R Console). Use a key (F7) to
activate it, then use Alt + { (or }) to cycle thru the tool windows. Pressing
F7 again, will minimise (and deactivate) the current tool window, remember it
for the next F7 toggle and take the focus back to the initial script/help
file tab.

3) A single key (say, Alt + /) might toggle focus between the script/help tabs
and the tool tabs. Then use the same key combo to cycle thru them.

My whole concern in trying to separate the windows into two different sets is
so that, R Console/ Help search is easily accessible from the script file
tabs. The user should not need to cycle thru all the windows.

And in the long run, if possible, even these key choices might be configurable
by the user. Again, these are my personal views.

Regards
PK