[RkWard-devel] an old plugin in a new shell... (plot_stepfun)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 1 20:58:37 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 21:34, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> Should there be a new folder under plugins, say embed, for the (only)
> embed-able plugins? Or I does not matter, as principally, every plugin can
> be embeded into others!

I guess it would make sense, indeed. While all plugins can be embedded, it
looks like we're really just using those that are specifically designed to be
embedded. One more general thing, is that eventually we need to define some
sort of dependencies between plugins, or between .pluginmap files. We already
give the user the possibility to use only a subset of .pluginmaps (though I
doubt too many users have discovered this rather well-hidden feature, yet),
but this can lead to problems, if - for instance - you have distributions
plugins selected, but not the plot plugins (in this case the embedded plugins
will not be found). When defining such dependencies, it makes sense to have
plugins designed to be embedded not just in a directory of their own, but
also in a .pluginmap of their own. This way, the embedded plugins could be
used, without also bringing in all the "visible" ones (that is those placed
in the menus).
Well, no good plan on this, yet, and I don't think it's a pressing issue, but
yes, I think, eventually we'll have to organize plugins in this way (and if
you'd like to give it a shot already, go ahead).