[RkWard-devel] Grid, Stepfun and final (nearly) form of the clt plugin.

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 20:28:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

Last night I had committed a few things:

1. plot_stepfun_options: This plugin provides the the graphical options to
plot.stepfun(). As such this is to be used an embeded plugin. We can write a
new plugin, plot_stepfun (under plots?), with a varslot element and embeding
plot_stepfun_options. This will complete the plot.stepfun() function.

2. A grid plugin under (X11device) View > Draw grid. A small one but covers
all the arguments to grid(). The drawback (when compared to the grid on/off
option of matlab) is that, once the grid is drawn it cannot be erased (off?).
But thats the nature of the R function grid(). One solution is to include
this in the plot_options plugin with a checkbox to enable/disable the grid.
Based on how "preview" works, as soon as this (grid) checkbox is toggled, the
whole graphics will be redrawn again, therby giving a "feel" of grid on/off.
Why is it a "feel"? Because for simulated data plots (like distribution/clt
plugins) every time the graphics is redrawn, it is for a whole new set of
random numbers. But again, this is the situation with any GUI element not
just the grid checkbox (if added).

3. The binomial CLT: Apart from the "rug" options, I think the plugin is ready
to go. I am not planing to add QQplot, it is becoming an overkill for a
simple visualisaton.

4. As Thomas was saying, rug() is a generic plot feature, which can be treated
in a fashion similar to grid(). So, if everyone feel the same way, I will
remove "Rug options" from clt and add a new embedable plugin which can be
used anywhere (may be plot_options or may be (x11device) VIew > Add Rug or
somewhere once we reach a working solution for par() options).

Once the rug issue for CLT is settled, I am planning to roll out the clt
plugin for all the distributions, and then be done with CLT. Now, that means
a lot of new files (19*3) under distributions dir. Is that fine, or should we
create a new dir (may be sub-dir under distribution)?

Lastly, the "addRugtoplot" checkbox on binomial_clt.xml is behaving funny. I
have connected all the rug related options to be enabled based on
addRugtoplot.state. But it does not work the first time the plugin is started
(when the rug checkbox is not checked but still all the options is enabled).
I will look into it again, today.

Regards
PK