[RkWard-devel] Context sensitive history

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jan 16 16:15:05 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 15:23, Roland Vollgaf wrote:
> The idea was that not all regions should be "runable".  The regions between
> '}' and '{'  may contain garbage or assignments, which could mess up your
> current workspace when run accidentely.  Therefore I think separate start
> and end marks provide the better functionality.

Well, using the "one type of mark" approach, you'd set the same total number
of markers in this case, and thereby confine the "garbage sections" to their
own regions. So you'd have just as much flexibilty. I can see your point,
too, though.

> Actually I had the idea to
> ensure that the marks  are set in the correct order (an alternating
> sequence of start end end marks) right when they are set by the user. But,
> as far as I understand, this would require to derive an own document
> interface from Kate::Document in order to  overload
> KTextEditor::MarkerInterfaceExtension.markChanged(), and I didn't want to
> change too much of the existing code. But maybe it's worth to do, anyway.

As far as I understand, markChanged () is really a Qt signal that simply is
not defined as such for some technical reason. There is a comment to that
effect in markinterfaceextension.h. Also, google turns up a usage of this in
quanta:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdewebdev/quanta/src/document.cpp?rev=623503&view=markup
I have not tried this, though.

Do you want to try your luck with this, or should I apply your patch as is,
for now?