[RkWard-devel] plug-ins & translation

"Stefan Rödiger" stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Tue Jan 16 12:41:15 UTC 2007

Recently we can see several new plug-ins emerging. The downside is that there is still no easy we for people who don't want to dig in the code for translating purposes. I think it's a good moment to think over this again.

I'm not aware of a GUI tool to do this. How are other projects handling this or is there a project with a similar structure that could provide a suggestion (or even solution)?

A simple idea I have is to create a script (however) which first grabs all the decisive strings an puts them to a simple text file or if possible in a csv file (one column with the original string for comparison, the second EMPTY for translating) that could be openend in a spread sheet application. Than translators can do their jobs and subsequent a second script writes it back to the corresponding xml and php files.
By doing it in such a manner it's almost impossible to forget a string. Anyway, this would demand a lot of patience and diligence from the translator (besides some other painfull disadvantages). Actually not a good solution. One would have to repeat it for each file. For RKWard 0.4.5 there would be ~ 120 files to translate and for 0.4.5 it should be of course somewhat more. Definitely time to start. Wrong?

Stefan