[RkWard-devel] Context sensitive history

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jan 16 10:54:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Monday 15 January 2007 22:04, Roland Vollgaf wrote:
> what do you think about this: Let the user enter begin and open marks for
> the regions he want to run. Therfore the IconBorder seems to be well
> suited. I enabled two more marks in the MarkInterfaceExtension, one showing
> an opening bracket and one a closing one. The action "run_region" then runs
> the region inside the pair of brackets containing the cursor. Not as
> elegant as automatic region determination, but for the first it does the
> job. Multiple regions can be defined, but not nested.

since I hardly ever use the icon border, this did not occur to me. Looks like
a good interim solution though, until later we can detect those ranges
automatically.

> I'm appending a patch and two icons. Propabliy the way I included strings
> and pixmaps is not actually correct  in terms i18n etc.  I think some
> dedicated icons  for the "run_xxxx" actions are overdue, but I don't how
> they are correctly linked into the project (thus I just picked an arbitrary
> existing icon, play_pause)

Before I apply this, a question (and a minor nitpick):
If the regions can not be nested (or at least it will not work, if they are
nested), and I can see why they can't be, why have separate opening and
closing markers at all? Couldn't we just use a single type of marker (maybe
visualized as '}{'), and then getRegion () would simply return everything
between the previous (or top) and next (or bottom) of these markers. Or am I
overlooking something?

The nitpick: When working on RKWard files (or at least pre-existing files),
could you set up your editor (kate?) to use tabs instead of spaces for
indentation? On most lines you have tabs, but the ifs then use spaces for
extra indentation. Just so the source files look consistent.

As far as the other points are concerned: You put the only one translatable
string into an i18n (), so that's entirely correct. I have no idea about
the "officially recommended" way to add pixmaps, but the way you do it
perfectly reasonable. Icons for use in KActions would have to be installed to
KDE's icon path, and admittedly, I don't know how to do this cleanly, but
I'll look it up once we have icons to use.

Thanks!