[RkWard-devel] RKWard 0.4.5pre1, 0.4.5 release process

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jan 11 20:59:48 UTC 2007

Hi!

On Thursday 11 January 2007 19:43, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> Sending
> plots_cor_graph.tar.gz<?&ik=90971e2fbb&view=att&th=110126b9da3bad04&attid=0
>.1>containing the two files (xml and php) right now.

A number of nitpicks (but it does look pretty good, overall):
1) You put all the R code inside printout (). The point of having different
sections is to provide a little common structure. In this case, the
definition of the helper functions should go into preprocess (), the call to
rm() should go to cleanup ().

2) Indentation: The next line after an opening brace ('{') should always be
indented by one Tab (until the closing '}'). This makes reading the code
structure much easier. Also, maybe you could replace the spaces that are used
to indent the panel.cor()-block right now with tabs, as well.

3) It would probably be useful to have the "method", and "use" options to cor
and cor.test as well. You can copy the relevant sections from the correlation
matrix plugin. One way to make this work, would be to extend the panel.cor
function with those two paramenters, then modify the call to pairs to:

pairs(x, lower.panel=panel.smooth, upper.panel=function (x, y) panel.cor (x,
y, use, method))

4) The "digits" and "prefix" parameters to panel.cor are effectively unused,
currently. I don't really understand, what the prefix parameter is for, but
maybe you could also add a GUI option for the digits parameter (that, or
remove it to keep the code simple).

5) You wrap up everything in a function rk.temp.cor.graph (). I'm not entirely
sure, whether I like or dislike this (so far we did not use this). Anybody
have an opinion already?

6) It's usually a good idea to wrap everything between rk.graph.on () and
rk.graph.off () in a try () statement, i.e.:
rk.graph.on ()
try ({
	rk.temp.cor.graph (rk.temp.x)
})
rk.graph.off ()
This makes sure that the graphing device gets shut down in case there was an
error during the plot. Which reminds me, that I intended to add this
everywhere else...

7) The idea of scaling the text the r is printed in according to the value of
r is definitely interesting, but I think it should be possible to turn it
off.

All this may seem like a lot of criticisms, but mostly it's small or optional
stuff, so I hope you don't feel discouraged. The most important thing is that
it works and is useful, and your code works nicely indeed, and is a pretty
nifty feature! If you need more details/comments, just ask.