[RkWard-devel] add vector to data.frame

SJR stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Sat Jan 6 01:42:25 UTC 2007

RKWard handles data in its ObjetBrowser-window excellent. All? single vectors
too? Yes and No. Wouldn't it be nice to have a GUI option where users can add
a vector (or a couple of them) to a data.frame. May it be a single vector to
a new created or existing data.frame or even multiple vectors to the desired
data.frame. This brings several advantages. At first the data are easily
editable in RKWards tables (an obvious approach and likely to understand by
less experienced users since we keep similarities to spread sheet
applications). Nice in term of useability. ;) Right now the only way to edit
a single vector is from the console or did I oversee something? Secondly its
a fast way to combine several data vectors in a single data.frame. Nice in
term of useability too. :) It's not that easy. Of course there would be a
need to check for length and fill with NAs where missing and so on.
And what about combining/merging of data.frames in a single one?

What do you think?

P.S:
This is not really important but if I delete data in the table the
corresponding cells will be empty in RKWards table but R writes as a matter
of course NA in its tables. Shouldn't RKWard behave the same way in this
respect as R does ("fill" with NA) or do you think this might confuse users?
I'm not sure if this is a "bug" or a feature. If one wants to keep close to R
then it's a "bug" but in therms of useability (similarities to spread sheet
applications) it's a feature for sure. Hard to say.