[RkWard-devel] handling of loaded packages?

SJR stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Sat Jan 6 00:47:33 UTC 2007

Hi there,

while fiddling around with some packages I was wondering how to handle loaded
packages. The usual way is require(). Then the package is loaded and kept in
the workspace.
This is also happening in some of the coming new plug-ins e.g. the
distribution analysis, though very limited. Since RKWard will also handle
very sophisticated tasks in future we will require more packages that do not
belong to the basics (base, stats, graphics, ...). Should we pay attention to
workspace "cleaning procedures".  For example if package YX is not required
for, let's say 10 minutes, then package XY is unloaded else kept for the next
time frame and so on. Maybe it's "wise" to keep memory usage as low as
possible, though I did a little test and there is only little change when
some pages are loaded. Loading of packages will be fast anyway. But I don't
see a way to do it automatically in R.

What do you think?