[RkWard-devel] New Plug-ins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Jan 1 22:53:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Monday 01 January 2007 22:17, SJR wrote:
> Well, yes I think that's what I'm looking for. I didn't find these
> information in "Introduction to Writing Plugins for RKWard". My version
> might be outdated. What will happen to numeric vectors where the length is
> not in the given range. Will they be skipped or ...?
>
> Update, I just saw the changes in SVN. Thanks!

Yes, just added. Vectors outside the given range simply will not be selectable
for now. This is not entirely fortunate of course, as there is no explanation
why those are not selectable. No good idea on how to solve this, yet.

> > 1) Will you remember to add ChangeLog entries?
>
> Since I use kdesvn I usually add entries there. But I never checked if they
> appear somewhere. So next time I will add my changes accordingly to
> ChangeLog. Sorry for that.

Those entries do appear, and are important. However, those are rather meant to
be describe all the many low level changes, but not neccessarily be of
interest to users. E.g. those commit messages might contain (within a single
release cycle)
- Adding feature X
- Fixing bug in newly added feature X
- Cleaning up code for feature X
It's very useful to have all this recorded, but all that's changed for the
user is that feature X was added since the last release.
This also means, the ChangeLog does not need to be updated at once after each
change, and the messages there can be changed / reworded as needed. However,
similar to adjusting the makefiles, it's simply important to remember to
describe the changes sooner or later (before the next release), and typically
whoever authors those changes will remember what was changed, best. That's
all there is to it.

> > I'll try to come up with something, soon. Just wanted to let you know,
> > already.
>
> I guess it will be a matter of some weeks, therefore I 'll slow down
> my "developmental work" and concentrate on fixing existing plug-ins until
> you have a solution.

Nah, I just didn't know, whether I'd get something done today. I have now
commited a quick and dirty first draft. There's a new function
rk.results (x, titles=NULL)
(you'll have to make install in rbackend/rpackages). For now, x will always
have to be a data.frame. titles is a vector of titles, obviously. This
function is not very pretty, yet, and will have to be expanded to allow for
different formats.
For testing purposes, I've adjusted the ad-test plugin to use the new
function. Take a look at how this works, and whether it seems ok. If not,
feel free to revert that change, it's really just an experiment for now. If
it does seem ok, you may want to try converting one or two of the other
plugins over, to find out whether there are any serious flaws in this
approach. Let me know what you think.