[RkWard-devel] R memory

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Feb 26 23:35:53 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 February 2007 23:13, Stefan Roediger wrote:
> does any of you know a recent information about R memory management. I
> added link from RNews in the "Trouble Shooting Section" but it's dated from
> 2001/1. http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2001-1.pdf
> I can't remember exactly but there was a change in 2005 or so. Does any of
> you know?

There's also http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/gengcnotes.html, but it's more
about the internals, hence may have changed more, and also, I don't know, how
old it is. Anyway, you're asking because of concern for limiting memory
allocation?

As far as I can see, the information on that is still correct. I've given
mem.limits() a short test, and it seems to work fine. So we could/should
provide an interface to that function to limit memory usage. However, I don't
think it's an urgent issue for now. Users dealing with huge data or
excessively memory-hungry tests can be expected to read up on mem.limits()
for a while longer (and before looking about a corresponding setting in the
GUI, they'd need to be aware of the issue, anyway).

Or did you have something else / more specific in mind?