[RkWard-devel] Pareto chart and Quality qontrol charts

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Feb 23 21:18:11 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 21:47, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> If there are, then it may still be worth considering,
> whether the type of data I suggested should not be supported in some way as
> well, perhaps with a "tabulate" option.

Pseudo-code to make my idea a bit more clear:
<?	if (getRK_val ("tabulate)) { ?>
rk.temp.x <- table (<? echo ($var); ?>, exclude=NULL)
<?	} else { ?>
rk.temp.x <- <? echo ($var); ?>
if (!is.numeric (rk.temp.x)) {
	# perhaps use rk.print() instead of warning()
	warning ("Data may not be numeric, but proceeding as requested.\nDid you
forget to check the tabulate option?")
}
<?	} ?>

I think an advantage is, that there is less "magic" going on outside the
user's control. Currently factors are simply dealt with differently than
vectors, and I think this is what has been disturbing me in the first place.
The user will not have any way to see why one object gets tabulated, but the
other doesn't, without looking at the generated code (and understanding the
differentiation between factor and vector in R, which is different from some
other statistics tools). This is not a problem, as long as the "magic" always
does "the right thing" - but I'm afraid it will not always read the user's
mind correctly, so let's rather use a good old checkbox, instead.