[RkWard-devel] Pareto chart and Quality qontrol charts

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Feb 22 23:16:24 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 23:00, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> The pareto chart actually it is not exactly a chart. Many times the plot it
> is not useful at all, but it is better to show only the descriptives. E.g.
> when we want to see the causes of 80% of defetcs and the chart has a line
> at 75% does not seem real helpful. The plot gives a general idea but the
> real results are the descriptives. So typically the descriptives should be
> the default result. I had in mind to give as option only to print without
> to plot the descriptives. How do you see this?

I think, we're probably talking about two different plugins, here. The plot is
useful in its own right, and so is the descriptives table. To create the
descriptives table only, without the plot, pareto.chart() is a bit of
overkill, however. The same should be achievable using table()/summary(),
cumsum() and sort().

So I'd suggest to create a separate plugin for this, and just link the help
pages to the respective other plugin.

BTW, thinking about table(), I'm wondering, whether it might not be a good
idea to make the summary()/table() a separate option. Untested pseudo-code:

<?	if (getRK_val("tabulate")) { ?>
rk.temp.x <- table (<? echo ($var); ?>)
<?	} else { ?>
rk.temp.x <- as.numeric (<? echo ($var); ?>)
<?	} ?>

I think it would be more consistent this way?

> I believe that this is something that has to do with uniformity. As is
> seems good because it does not have by its own a tab options, but the
> button plot_option gives a uniformity to rkward, so it is your decision.

If only I could make up my mind clearly about some things...

At the moment I lean towards using a button. It seems a nice way to offer a
lot of additional functionality without statically adding too much to the
GUI. Also it is a nice way of saying: These options are for fine-tuning,
only, you won't need to look at them, if you don't want to. But I just
haven't made up my mind on this, entirely (and so you'll find both types of
embedding the plot_options plugin in the existing plugins).

Opinions?