[RkWard-devel] 0.4.6+ and beyond: comments and ideas

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 23:20:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

Generic comments and ideas (I have written plugins for , but have NOT
committed them to svn yet. Should I do them for any/every one to check?)

[1] Set/Change default Working directory. May be under Settings > General tab.
Though this might as well go under, Console. Then change is from Workspace
menu, using setwd(). Ok, I have written a plugin which seems to do the job.
But it has some isues:

The <browser> GUI element accepts type="dir" as a field. But, the the dialog
box DOES NOT accept directories, rather it accepts only files. Moreover, the
main button is a "Save" button, as opposed to "Open" for type="file" field.

Barring this, if you enter the directory name into the input box then my
plugin works. But, what would be better is NOT to use a plugin at all. Rather
hard code it into cpp (like how Open/Save Workspace works now) which will be
more intuitive. So ideally it would be realised as: Workspace > Change
Working directory > (Choose the directory using a file open dialog) > Open >
(Change/Add some message to either the status bar or the Title bar of the
main RKWard window where the workspace name is displayed. )

[2] X11 Device export: We need separate plugins for exporting
postscript/pdf/png/jpeg. Using ghostscript (dev2bitmap) produces low quality
outputs. I have written a plugin for doing the png/jpeg export. It is under
Device > Export to PNG/JPEG. Again, it is no where near complete but works. I
am using dev.print(device=png,...) for this purpose. I am planning to add two
more plugins for pdf and ps, unless someone else is already working on it.

[3] CLT: This is one more "set of plugins" on my ToDo:
Now that preview rocks, I was wondering to add plugins to visualise, the
approach to Normality under CLT for different distributions. I am planning to
add it under Distribution > Beta > CLT. Suggestions for any other appropriate
hierarchy for these plugins and a proper label for the meny entry are
welcome. Of course, the foremost question is: Though this is conceptually
nice, whether such a plugin is needed for the current project?

[4] I am sure this is on the TODO:
Toggle keys for the four tabs (Command Logs, Pending Jobs, R Console, Help
Search) at the bottom; say F4, F5, F6 and F7 respectively. The current F8
which is supposed to take the focus away from RConsole, when in RConsole,
does not seem to work! It just enters a "Enter/Return" character at the
RConsole prompt.

[5] Remove "Preview" from TODO ?
	- Preview of plots
		- Maybe use a button (along the submit / close / etc. buttons instead)?
		- The preview window should be a specialized RKCaughtWindow
			- It should show info on state (up to date / updating / error / etc).

[6] 	- create grid() plugin
   I saw this in the current TODO file. What exactly is this grid() plugin?
Has this anything to do with Trellis grpahics?

[7] TODO: Implementing the Lattice (based on trellis) packge using menus. Lets
just keep this as a long term todo, not for immediate concerns. The trellis
graphics is one hell of a complicated but rather powerfull mess.

Regards
PK