[RkWard-devel] RKWard and other encondings

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Feb 15 21:45:30 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 17:24, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> For postscript/pdffonts, there is no option like getOption(), and I got to
> the last resort declaring in Helvetica with the kerkis fonts (greek fonts)
> (it is done just for the session). Much better now, having working pdf,
> postscript, dev.print. But for now I face problems with dev.copy, and
> dev2bitmap, and bitmap. I think the bitmap has a different way to work with
> ghostscript, but I will check.

Oh dear. I guess the reason is this (but have not investigated): dev2bitmap()
(and bitmap()) first creates a postscript device in the usual way. The
postscript is then sent to ghostscript in a separate process. Probably that
process simply does not know about the fonts used in R at all, and hence
we're back to square one. Currently, I have no idea, on how this could
reasonably be approached at all.

> It could be done in the future, but I do not know what problems we may
> face. if we give a family option to par, and try to print the graph on a
> device we can get to some problems. Example:
>
> par(family="sans")
> z<-1:10
> barplot(z, main="Title", sub="subtitle")
> dev.print(device=pdf, file="~/Desktop/print.pdf")
>
> The last works well, but trying Device>Print does not work giving the
> message:
>
> Error in dev.copy(device = function (file = ifelse(onefile, "Rplots.ps",  :
>     family 'sans' not included in PostScript device

This example works, here. "sans" (and "mono", "serif" should be defined for
all devices). Are you sure, this wasn't caused by some of your experiments
with the device fonts?

But of course the underlying problem is in fact: Each font needs to be defined
for all devices. That's to a large part, what really makes it so hard to deal
with.