[RkWard-devel] RKWard and other encondings

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Feb 11 18:50:26 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 February 2007 18:35, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> For now it is not usable to do something like this. I have to do some
> testings on some problems and report later. For example if I do rk.print()
> with greek characters (wichecer of the two encodings I use) I do not have
> something readable at the output. The fonts used can not used with
> dev.copy(), or with png.  Although the X11 device gives a right plot,
> cannot be copied. For now only X11, postscript and pdf devices works (they
> have the family option). I will try to see what can I get from this, and we
> will if and what we can do.

Ok.

> One last question. With konsole after turning R locale to iso I have to
> change the konsole encoding, through settings>encoding. Is this also done
> with the above command?

You mean inside rkward? RKWard is all UTF-8 internally (Qt does all the magic
automatically), hence no need to set an encoding here. However, currently
RKWard will not react too well, if you change the locale at runtime (using
Sys.setlocale()), in this case Qt will continue to convert the strings passed
to and from the backend to and from the locale in use at startup. I suppose,
in order to get this right, we'd need to overload Sys.setlocale() and make
sure to switch accordingly, whenever it is called. Added this to the TODO
list for now.
Starting RKWard with a specified locale (as described in the last mail) should
initialize the conversion codec correctly, however.