[RkWard-devel] Second 0.4.6 preview release, testing, translations

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 20:10:30 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have been doing a few testing...
This mail: comments on Import CSV.
Next mail: (hopefully) comments on X11 Export.

I have numbered my comments in decreasing order of importance (IMHO).

> ------- Testing -------
> - File->Import Format->Import CSV data
> The CSV import plugin is fairly old, but I've reworked several aspects.

[] Is there any particular reason for not providing the other options in
read.table in "Further Options"? Like, quote, stringsAsFactor, flush. Call it
coincidence, but the first csv file I tried did not work with the default
read.table arguments, instead read.csv worked. The issue was with the quote
characters. There was no  double quotes in the file (") but some names
(French! nothing personal.) included single quotes ('). As a result, it was
not being read properly.

Specifically, the following works:
read.table(file="file.csv",header=TRUE,sep=",", quote = "",
stringsAsFactors=FALSE)

but the following did not:
read.table(file="file.csv",header=TRUE,sep=",")

Of course, this is NOT an issue with RKWard, it is just a matter of providing
the right specs, which when not done, seems to an end user, as an issue with
RKWard; so, why not include the other arguments to read.table too?

[] After "Submit"ing why is the plugin still displayed? I got confused
initially, as to whether or not the "Submit"tion actually worked. I guess,
once the data has been read, the plugin should close. Again, I might be
missing some subtle point!

[] Vector of row/column names and vector of column classes: As the
import_csv.rkh suggests, these need to be of the form
c("var1","var2",..,"varn"). But existing character variable also works,
right? (Yes, it does, I just checked) That is, instead of specifying the
vector directly in the input box, I can just specify the name of an existing
varaible which contains my list of row/column names. In that case, may be add
a few lines to the rkh file, saying, "e.g c("var1",..,"varn") or an existing
variable".

[] Under the "Columns" tab, I think it is more appealing to include the input
boxes inside the corresponding frames.

[] In import_csv.rkh, some of the statements are missing a period in the end.

[] In import_csv.rkh, the following line
        c ("row1", "row2", ... "rown")
should read
        c ("row1", "row2", ..., "rown")
What is the difference? A comma (.) after the ellipses. Similarly for the
column name specs. Ha, I am just nitpicking. (This is what happens when you
write too much of technical tex stuff :()

[] Should the "CSV" be renamed to something else, since the plugin provides
option for "\t" or  ";" or "," or " " as  the separators? Maye be,
File->Import Format->Read.Table ?

[] When on this, may be add another radio under "Feld Separator" as "Other"
and an input box (enabled only for "Other") for any user defined separator?

[] Now I am shooting wild: (Not for 0.4.6 release): Is it possible to provide
a "preview" of the import much like what the various office suites (oocalc,
kspread etc.) do, to let the user see what is actually happening/going to
happen once the import is completed?

[] This comment might make the plugin too complicated/confusing. What I was
thinking is: add a dropbox under the "General" tab, which will decide a
predetermined set of defaults for the various parameters. To be precise, the
drop box, will include: None, CSV, CSV2, DLIM, DLIM2 which in turn will the
set the paramters to the read.csv, read.csv2, read.dlim, read.dlim2
respectively.
	Ok, though this is a thought of mine, but I am very uncomfortable with this
being implemented (self contradicotry!). What do others think?

Regards
PK