[RkWard-devel] RKWard and other encondings

I. Soumpasis nono.231 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 09:42:23 UTC 2007

Hi!

The past week I came to a problem regarding R and Greek Language. The short
story is that although user can do everything in Greek language on a
terminal running R (in utf8) he cannot plot and print plots (problem with
greek letters). See a picture here
http://users.forthnet.gr/the/isoumpasis/data/Screenshot.png

I never came to a problem like this before because I am aware of problems of
Greek language and I keep my data in English. However I came to a solution
which I am writing for the greek e-magazine of greek users of Linux. Here (
http://users.forthnet.gr/the/isoumpasis/data/example.png) is a screenshoot
after the solution. (We are discussing writing an article also on RKWard).

Well, let's come to main point. For the above to work, user must work in R
in ISO-8859-7. That's the reason I had to play with rk.temp.convert to make
it convert to this encoding as I said to a previous mail on another thread.

Moreover and I find this critical enough, databases like MySQL use various
encodings, among which ISO. I do not know if there is a mechanism to convert
the enconding when connecting to a database and pulling data but I believe
there is not. I believe that in the future RKWard if it is to get into
business should develop this functionality, and I mean connect to a database
and pull data. But different encodings should create problems.

For the above reasons I believe that RKWard should support more encodings.
Is it feasible? And is it possible?

Sorry for the time of the message, having a release in this week, but now I
found the time to organize my thoughts. This however if it is to be done it
is for a later time.

Regards,
Ilias