[RkWard-devel] various Distribution plugin comments

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Feb 8 13:44:16 UTC 2007

Hi Prasenjit,

thanks for your thorough testing! All should be fixed, now, unless stated
otherwise, below.

On Thursday 08 February 2007 03:12, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> I. Important issues:
> -----------------------------
> [1] Spinboxes for negative numbers is buggy. Scrolling down below 0 goes
> like this: 0, -0.01, -1e+10, -2e+10 ... This effects all the plugins where
> a spinbox allows a negative number.
>
> [2] Scrolling up is generally fine, unless starting from -0.01, in which
> case it shoots to 1e+10. This effects all plugins where spinboxes allow
> both negative and positive (real) numbes.

Had noticed and corrected this a few hours prior to your mail.

> M. Minor issues:
> -------------------
> [1] In the quantiles/probabilities plugins, make the input box (of
> quantiles/probabilites) as required. ie., disable the "Submit" when the box
> is empty. As of now, there is an error of rk.temp being not found.

This option did not exist, when Stefan wrote those plugins. I've changed it,
now.

> [4] Gamma quantiles/probab: bound Rate below by 0.01 and set it default to
> 1.

I guess we need an option "min_inclusive" or something like that, to allow
values greater than, but not including 0, so we don't need to arbitrarily
limit to 0.01 (while e.g. 1e-10 would be fine as well). Something for later,
though.

> [10] Uniform quantile/probab: "Lower limits of the distribution" default to
> 0. And may be change the name to Minimum/Maximum to be consistent with R.

I left the label as "lower limit" for now. In R, the parameters are called
min/max, but the help page uses "lower/upper limit" as well.

> C. Cosmetic issues:
> ----------------------------
> [1] Should new line be accepted in input boxes? (like, main, sub, xlabel
> etc..)

I've changed it to not accept any newlines (you can still use <input ...
size="large" /> to get a multi-line input field). In most places, it just
doesn't make too much sense. For plot_options, I added a hint to use '\n' to
achieve multi-line labels. Of course, alternatively, we could use multi-line
fields, but I don't like how it uses so much extra space (and breaks the
tab-key), while this functionality probably isn't needed too often.

> [2] In quantile/probabilities plugin, enter 0.50.095 (no space!) in the
> input box. Put the cursor between, 0.5 and 0.95 and hit Enter ie provide a
> newline. This causes an error.

Of course, that's fixed by the above change.

> D. Wish?
> -------------
> By default, any plugin shows only two lines of code, and to see the rest of
> the code, The window has to dragged longer and the internal divider
> adjusted to see the rest/all of the code. Is it anyway possible to show
> more than two lines of code by default?

You're right. It's pretty useless, right now. The little that is shown isn't
very useful, and to resize it, you'll first have to resize the whole dialog,
then adjust the slider (I've tweaked this slightly, now, but it's still not
quite good). Definitely a broken UI. Problem is, I have no good idea on what
to do about it, right now. Making the field larger would use more space on
screen, and some plugins already take up around 550 pixels in the vertical
(on this system, with not so very large fonts), so we'd easily get into
trouble on 800*600 resolutions. Making the code window external would mean
yet another window on the screen.

Ideas, anybody?