[RkWard-devel] SPSS test files

I. Soumpasis nono.231 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 18:53:14 UTC 2007

2007/2/1, Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
>:
>
> On Thursday 01 February 2007 18:28, you wrote:
> > I have tested the mechanism with a greek sample file. If the headers are
> > not greek (1.sav) the file is imported. If the headers are greek I take
> the
> > following error message:
> >
> >  Error in read.spss("/home/user/Desktop/12.sav", to.data.frame =
> TRUE,  :
> >     error reading system-file header
> > In addition: Warning message:
> > /home/user/Desktop/12.sav: position 0: Variable name begins with invalid
> > character
>
> This is deep inside the read.spss() C code. I'm afraid, there is nothing
> we
> can do about this from the RKWard side of affairs (the conversion
> mechanism I
> added simply converts all strings in the created R object, it can't access
> the lower levels of reading the file itself).
>
> > I upload the 1.sav (with latin headers) and (with greek headers). To the
> > enconding field you have to write windows-1253 or MS-GREEK.
> >
> > Can you reproduce this writing specific german letters on headers like
> ü?
>
> I don't have access to SPSS at the moment (and won't for another few
> weeks).
> So I can't test. What do you mean by headers? The variable names? Variable
> labels? Something SPSS specific that I do not recall?

Yes the variable labels is what I mean.

@Stefan, do you have access to SPSS? Could you give it a try?

> How to proceed:
> 1) Make sure the SPSS file is valid and created in a standard way (I
> assume
> so).
> 2) Make sure you get the same bug, if you run in a plain R session.
> 3) Upload the test file to some web-server (we can put it under temp/ on
> RKWard, if you have no other good location).
> 4) Write a mail to r-help AT r-project.org detailing the steps to
> reproduce
> the problem in a plain R session (they don't let too many attachments
> through, so that's the reason for step 3)
> 5) Hope they'll either suggest a workaround or fix this.

I will try to do it in plain R. However I believe that it would be better to
continue the thread you started with german example, if Stefan can reproduce
this.

I can't do this myself because I don't have access to SPSS, and I could not
> even tell, when all characters are read correctly vs. when they are messed
> up
> in the greek example you provided, so I could not answer back any
> questions.
>
> > Can we have a drop-down list at the "other enconding" field having the
> > encondings from iconvlist() ?
>
> Not easily, no. The list will have to be static, and iconvlist() may
> differ
> across systems. Also this list has nearly 1000 entries on this machine! Of
> course we can add several more to the selection list (probably all
> ISO8859-[1..15], don't know, which other ones may be common).

Yes that was what I was thinking too. At least for the languages it is
translated for start and after request for more. I don't know if iso series
is good. Maybe we will have to use (also) the windows encondings.

Regards,
Ilias

Regards