[rkward-devel] C stack usage too close to the limit

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Apr 18 21:15:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

about the message you posted to the help forum:

you wrote:
> I got the same error with rkward-0.4.7 . I downloaded rkward-0.4.7.tar.gz
> and patched successfully with rkward_0.4.7-2.diff.gz; then I built a debian
> package using "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot" (I didn't noticed any error),
> and I installed it using "dpkg --install". I use debian unstable on a
> powerpc machine, kde 3.5.5 and R packages shipped with debian. On the
> terminal rkward outputs these messages:

The problem is most likely related to the powerpc architecture.

> Errore: C stack usage is too close to the limit
> Errore: C stack usage is too close to the limit

This is the real error. Everything else is just follow up symptoms. Apparently
we're mis-detecting the boundaries of the stack on powerpc. R will later
check whether there is enough space left on the stack, and if this fails, it
will do almost nothing at all.

The problem is, I can't see what might be wrong in our detection code. I'm
attaching a file. Could you replace rkward/rbackend/rkpthreadsupport.cpp in
the sources with this file, and then try again? This will not fix anything,
but it does add some debug code, which will hopefully help in figuring out
the problem. Could you post the first few lines of output, when you run this
modified version of RKWard?

Thanks!