[rkward-devel] Dependencies of debian binary package

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Apr 16 22:15:58 UTC 2007

Hi Michel,

On Monday 16 April 2007 23:52, Michel Lang wrote:
> Today at work I've tried to install RKWard-0.4.7 on Kubuntu using the
> Debian binary package.
> I was wondering why it claims to depend on >=R-2.4.9, as this is not the
> official stable R release and rkward-0.4.7 runs smoothly on my gentoo box
> with R-2.4.1 installed. I didn't checked those other packages to be pulled
> in, maybe there are more not official supported dependencies.
>
> In case that there is no good reason for this, it might be a good idea to
> correct the requirements to keep the installation as simple as possible.

RKWard can be compiled with any version of R upwards of R 2.1.0 (though it's
certainly not well tested with version of R this old). Unfortunately,
however, there are some small binary incompatibilities between most releases
of R. Hence, a version of rkward *compiled* against R 2.5.0 will not work *at
runtime* with R 2.4.0 and vice versa.

The reason to compile against R 2.5.0, already, is that a pre-release of R
2.5.0 is already in Debian unstable, and already causing breakage for RKWard
binaries compiled with R 2.4.x (and since Ubuntu gets most packages from
Debian, the same situation will apply there, too, soon).

It's not exactly a fortunate situation, but that's the reason for the
dependency.