[rkward-devel] a "misfeature"

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Apr 7 13:44:52 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 22:03, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> Ah, so lazy loading is bad enough and rk.get.structure is even worse :-).

Exactly. Though actually I think lazy loading is not that bad at all. Given
that GO is one heck of a large package, 44 seconds for reading the data may
not be nice, but I wouldn't call it terrible, either.

> Sure. It would be interesting to see how the Mac GUI behaves (since it
> also shows the argument list in functions). I'll check when I get a
> chance.

I just had a quick look (still not too much time, at the moment), and it looks
like it always fetches that information from R, instead of generating a
persistent representation, like we do in RKWard. In fact, this approach has
some obvious advantages, and may be preferrable in the long run - if only R
would allow concurrent threaded evaluations (which still seems far away
despite at least some efforts, esp. by Luke Tierney and Duncan Temple Lang,
as far as I can see).