[rkward-devel] a "misfeature"

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Apr 5 09:26:29 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 05 April 2007 00:35, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> A friend of mine (Deepayan: Lattice author) comments the following:
>
> [Quote]
> Basically, as far as I can tell, whenever a new package is loaded
> .rk.get.structure is run on all objects in the package (or at least in
> the namespace). This means that all these objects are evaluated,
> including all lazy-loaded symbols, which defeats the whole point of
> lazy loading. This is not much of an issue for small packages, but try
>
> source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
> biocLite("GO")
> library(GO)
>
> [/Quote]

he's absolutely right, and it has bothered me before (but I don't use such
large packages on a regular basis). If I recall correctly, I even timed this
to be around 20% of the startup time of rkward (due to loading all the
data.frames in the datasets package), so indeed, I'd like to find a solution.
The question is: How to avoid this for lazy loaded (or rather promised)
symbols, and only for those? I simply don't know a way to differentiate those
from "regular" ones. Do you have an idea?

> Something for 0.4.8?

If you can give me a starting point?