[RkWard-devel] Gentoo ebuild

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu May 11 12:54:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

> unfortunately I believe that it won't fix the sandbox violation. Even if
> you instruct R to install the library under ${DESTDIR} you'll still get a
> sandbox violation, because the main cause of it is that R tries to create a
> lock file outside the sandboxed hierachy (I don't remember if it attempts
> to do so under /tmp or under $R_HOME/library...) even if you specify a full
> path to the INSTALL CMD. I first tried to use that approach in my ebuild
> and it always failed. But it appears that the lock file is not used by R
> when building a binary package, so that's why I created a patch that
> creates a binary package and then unpacked it under ${DESTDIR}.

ok, this is the new solution, I came up with (rpackages/Makefile.am):

SUBDIRS = rkward

all:
	-${R_HOMEDIR}/bin/R CMD build rkward
install:
	-mkdir -p tmp ; \
	OLDTMP=$$TMPDIR ; \
	export TMPDIR=`pwd`/tmp ; \
	${R_HOMEDIR}/bin/R CMD INSTALL -l $(DESTDIR)/$(R_LIBDIR) rkward ; \
	export TMPDIR=$$OLDTMP
uninstall:
	-${R_HOMEDIR}/bin/R CMD REMOVE -l $(DESTDIR)/$(R_LIBDIR) rkward
check:
	-${R_HOMEDIR}/bin/R CMD check rkward
clean \
distclean:
	-rm -f rkward_*.tar.gz
	-rm -rf tmp

Of course you don't have $(R_LIBDIR) defined, yet (the new configure-option),
so you'd have to exchange it for some constant string, but could you test
whether the general approach works?

Thanks!