[RkWard-devel] Gentoo ebuild

Juan Manuel Peralta peralta_jm at earthlink.net
Wed May 10 07:28:14 UTC 2006

Hi.  I recently found out about rkward (version 0.3.5) and started using it.
Since I use Gentoo linux, and coudn't find an 'ebuild' for it, I made one for
it (see the attachment). Today I saw the 0.3.6 release, and found that you
have an ebuild for it. I inspected it, and saw that you have to work around
the 'sandboxing' to get the R library compiled and installed. I used a
different approach in my 0.3.5 ebuild.
Basically I created a patch for the make file that deals with the R library
compilation to make R compile a binary package. Then, instead of having R
installing the package, I unpackage the binary under the image directory
inside the sandbox environment. This efectively allows installation and clean
up of rkward under gentoo without sandbox violations and work arounds.
Oh, and the need for a patch could also be removed if the build process of
rkward uses the same sort of indirect instalation of the R library (compile
with R, then unpack where it should go).
I believe this is a much cleaner approach for an ebuild, and I thought that
you might be interested in it. In any case, I just wanted to make a tiny
contribution to a quite useful software.

Juan