[RkWard-devel] Problems compiling on Red Hat Enterprise 3 WS i686

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon May 1 22:40:40 UTC 2006

Forgot to CC the list:

Hi Anja,

> I'm a newbie, so hopefully I'm just doing something stupid that can be
> easily corrected.  When I try to compile rkward (this happens with both
> 0.3.5 and 0.3.6), there are complaints about missing header files:
>
> In file included from twintable.h:21,
>                  from twintable.cpp:18:
> rkeditor.h:25:27: kmdichildview.h: No such file or directory
>
> ./configure claims to be finding everything OK (see attached Makefile
> and configure.log), but it looks like there are headers missing that
> make expects.  The version of Qt I'm using is >= 3 (actually 3.1).  Is
> this version too old?
>
> Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide!

in fact your version of KDE is too old. If I recall correctly, KMDI (which is
the kde library to provide an MDI interface) was added in KDE 3.2, and KDE
3.2.x requires Qt 3.2.x.
There is no easy workaround for this, other than to upgrade your installation
(KDE 3.2.0 was released more than two years ago, so even Red Hat Enterprise
should have it by now). Probably you will have to upgrade R as well (rkward
currently requires R >= 2.1.0).

> I've pasted the configure and make output below just in case it helps:

The error message and information you gave above are indeed the root of the
problem. Unfortunately, it's hard to catch all such cases in ./configure. At
least, I've finally updated the depends information on kde-apps.org.