[RkWard-devel] Latest CVS : bugs and usability

David Sibai david.sibai at free.fr
Fri Mar 31 02:55:21 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I just grabbed the latest CVS to have a look at the latest RKward.  I found a
few very minor bugs, and had problems using RKWard (pure usability).

A couple of minor bugs:
- When a dataset and a command file are opened at the same time, and you
switch  between the dataset and the command file, the toolbar buttons move
around

- The (W)orkspace menu and (W)indows menu have the same keyboard shortcut

- In the levels/value levels editor, there is a bug : start by adding a few
  values, then click on one of the values of the index. The "Add" button is
  greyed out, and you're stuck.

Usability problems that I found annoying:
- How about merging the Workspace and File menus? There is already a load/save
  R objects in the File menu.

- In S+ (to the best of my knowledge), "Command files" are called "Script
  files". How about using "Script files" or even "R script file" instead of
  "Command file" ?

- In the command file editor, after F8/F9 has been pressed to have R run the
  file, the focus does not come back to the command window. This requires the
  use of the mouse, which kind of negates the point of the keyboard shortcut
in  the first place...

- The command file editor is *very very* well hidden. The only reason I knew
  there was one was because I had used RKward previously. Even worse,
*knowing* it was  there, it took me about 10 minutes to find it, because I
had to look at the  source code! I'd suggest having a command file opened by
default, with sample  commented R-code, that cannot be closed at all.

- It took me a while to understand what "Command Stack" meant in the tabs at
the  bottom. How about renaming it to "Pending Jobs" or something like that?

- The menus keep changing depending on where we are (command file, data
editor,  etc.). I suppose it is partly unavoidable. However, when in the
command file  editor, there are *three* new entries to the menus (View,
Bookmarks, Tools).
  Besides:
	- "Tools" is a little bit overkill. We are editing R files here, not
	  writing a major project. How about keeping only comment/uncomment,
	  indent/unindent, maybe "End Of Line" (for those who have to switch
	  between MS/Apple/Linux), and move them to the Edit Menu?

	- I don't understand the point of the "Bookmarks" entry. And how do I
	  add a bookmark?

	- As to the "View" Menu, I feel it is a bit on the overkill side as
	  well. Maybe "line numbers" is useful?  I suppose all these entries
	  come with the KatePart but I have to admit they are all fairly
	  confusing (at least to me) because they make the UI change
	  drastically.

- "Configure Packages" is available in the "Workspace" menu and in the
  "Settings" menu.  Any reason in particular?

- The Scatterplot script behaves oddly in wizard mode : between step 1 and 2,
  the "select variables" window switches from the left hand side to the right
  hand side of the window

- When exiting RKWard, the following message appears :
"Quitting RKWard: Do you want to save the workspace?
Press Cancel, if you do not want to quit"
This is a bit confusing (I had to read it three or four times before really
understanding what was happening), since it asks whether you want to save,
then tells you what to do if you do not want to quit (two seemingly unrelated
possibilities)

Most of these comments are about general usability, and I suppose I could make
the changes in Rkward's sourcecode myself (including the minor bugs). Hence
my questions :
 - Do you agree with my comments ?
 - If so, can I make the changes ?
Finally, I can keep looking at usability matters if you want me to (I'm
finding it increasingly interesting).

I hope I didn't sound too negative with all these remarks,  I really believe
RKward has a great future ahead. So, keep up the good work!

David.