[RkWard-devel] marketing

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Feb 1 16:24:27 UTC 2006

Hi Stefan,

> I just figured out what Rkward is "missing". To put it into a single word:
> "Marketing". When I searched for a GUI to R by google I found everything
> (like Kstat http://www.kstat.org/ , which is no longer / not yet developed)
> but not Rkward (which is more than usable). I refined my search for Linux,
> KDE, ... and still found almost nothing. But I knew form r-project.org that
> there is Rkward. So my suggestion is to announce the project on common
> known places in the web. Moreover one might “improve” the hits in google
> (there are known strategies how to do this). What is the sense of my idea?
> Manly to attract developers, user and people who do quality testing.
> Therefore is my suggestion that I (if you consent) try to make Rkward more
> public. What do you think?

you are quite right, RKWard could do with better marketing. In fact this is
already on the list of "open tasks" waiting for someone to start working on
(bottom of the page):
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/devel.php?content=open_tasks

Personally, I'm just not any good at marketing. I'm aware of the problem, but
I'd very much like to delegate it to somebody more competent.

Announcements on known places in the web: Go for it, you don't have to ask
permission. Short descriptions of rkward are available on the website, or on
freshmeat and kde-apps.org. If you think those descriptions should be
changed/improved, your suggestions are welcome. Some screenshots can be found
at the same locations, but most likely better ones could be created with
relatively little effort.

Improving search-engine visibility: Certainly room for improvement, here. You
might want to team up with Yves Jacolin (yjacolin AT gloobe DOT org) to
optimize keywords and such on the website.

Your efforts are highly welcome!