[RkWard-devel] R 2.3.0

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 18 11:50:30 UTC 2006

Hi all,

just a quick note on R 2.3.0 and how it affects rkward plans: The current CVS
version of rkward will now work with the upcoming R 2.3.0. Unfortunately the
released rkward 0.3.5 will not. This mostly due to the "Error: C stack usage
is too close to the limit" problem, which unfortunately still affects
applications using threading with R. Due to the late point in the R release
cycle, there was nothing the R developers could still do about it, but they
did provide me with the means to create a workaround in rkward. Some other
minor adjustments were necessary for R 2.3.0 as well.
What this all boils down to, is that we will need another release of rkward
*very* soon. Probably on Sunday or Monday, close to the expected release date
of R 2.3.0.
What this means technically, for developers, is: Be careful about large scale
or difficult changes for yet another while, to make sure no grave new bugs
are introduced. For everybody else on this list, this means, that I will soon
bother you with another call for testing ;-)