[RkWard-devel] installing packages hangs

Jacob Michaelson jjmichael at comcast.net
Tue Sep 6 02:49:33 UTC 2005

> ok, then. The good news is, I know how to fix this problem (i.e.
> pop up a
> dialog showing the selection), and it's already on the TODO-list.
> The bad
> news is, this is not something to whip up in a few minutes, so
> don't expect a
> solution too soon.

Great!  I look forward to the fix.

> Also, I notice, you seem to be running rkward as root. Maybe R does
> not behave
> as expected for the root user. Could you try running rkward as a
> regular
> user, instead?

I tried this under my Ubuntu installation and it worked fine.  There
must have been something wrong with my R installation under SLAX.  I
reinstalled and it worked fine under SLAX (no root issues, it worked
both as a user and as root).

>> Now, the question.  Am I able to set custom mirrors?  For
>> instance, I would
>> like to be able to browse the bioconductor repositories, but am
>> not able to
>> specify them.
>>

> Sorry, no, it simply hasn't been implemented, yet. I'll add this to
> the
> TODO-list. The workaround should be to specify the "repos" option
> manually,
> i.e. run this command in the R console:
>
> options (repos=c ("http://my.repository.org/location/",
> "http://another.repository.org/"))
>
> after that packages from both repositories should show up in the
> dialog (I
> have not tested this myself, though).

I would really look forward to this feature because Bioconductor
itself has many packages.  Mix that in with CRAN and --without a
search tool-- it's very difficult to navigate through hundreds packages.

Thanks for the help -- I look forward to rkward's further development!

--Jake