[RkWard-devel] New website, release 0.3.3

Jacob Michaelson jjmichael at comcast.net
Wed Oct 12 01:31:07 UTC 2005

Thomas,

I'm trying to build rkward on my FreeBSD-5.4 box, and have run into a
few snags.  I'm not in front of my box right now so I can't give all
the details, but here are the general problems:

-rkward-0.3.3 configures, builds, and installs with no error
messages.  However, when I start it, it doesn't have any icons in the
toolbar, and only the "settings" and "help" menus appear in the menu
bar, and those menus don't have all the entries.

-the only odd thing I noticed during configure is that it doesn't
detect libpng, when I know I have it.  R detected it just fine when
configuring.

-basic R functionality seem to be okay.  I can create vectors, etc.
but when loading any library I get an error telling me that libR.so
can't be located (specifically that grDevices.so can't locate
libR.so).  I know I have libR.so and have provided the correct path
to it when configuring.  R itself also works as expected from the
terminal and can load libraries just fine.  FreeBSD seems to like
things in /usr/local, but I installed R in /usr out of habit.  I'm
not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I know this is difficult to troubleshoot, especially since I didn't
get any errors during the build process, but I would appreciate any
feedback which would help me to get this working on FreeBSD.  I'm
wondering if I have some unmet dependencies that don't give errors.
I don't have PHP installed, but I've built without it on other
systems with no problems.  R and KDE are both fully installed,
completely from source.

By the way, I got 0.3.3 working just fine on SLAX.  All previous
issues resolved with this release.  Good work.

mfg

--Jake