[RkWard-devel] Ideas for the RKWard's website

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue May 10 19:05:38 UTC 2005

Hi Yves,

that's a pretty well thought out plan. Here are a few thoughts / comments:

B.I introduction
Don't forget to include the "Hosted by Sourceforge"-logo required by SF.

B.II.2 Screenshots
I'm not sure whether you imply that all screenshots are stored in the
sourceforge screenshot database. If so, I think this may not be a good idea
at this time, as SF places certain restrictions on those screenshots. Most
importantly, only six screenshots are allowed per project and no images may
be larger than 640*480 (http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=50231).
If you're just saying that we shoud make sure to keep up-to-date screenshots
in the SF screenshot database, I agree, but for the main website I think we
need more flexibility.

B.II.5 Documentation
Once again, it is good to keep documentation in the SF DocManager, but I think
it may be too inflexible to be used as our primary store of documentation.
For one thing, it only accepts HTML docs...

B.V.4 Add news
I don't think we'll need different categories of news anytime soon, as news
volume is rather low. Of course it might still be good to design the database
so this can easily be added at a later point of time. In that case I'd
propose to split up the "level" field into two fields: "level" and
"category", where "level" would one day mark the significance of the news
item and category the content (releases/plugins/development plans...).

C.II Technical part
I'm not quite sure whether the naming convention you propose would be the
files directly given in the URL or only an internal convention. Just to be
sure, some thoughts on the first:
None of my own attempts at creating mulitlanguage websites have ever proved
quite elegant. However, I do think using the x_language.php filenaming
convention may not be the best idea. For instance, using this framework it's
difficult to have single pages default to a different language (e.g. one page
in the FR-translation, which is not yet translated, and should therefore be
displayed in english instead). If in a translation a new page becomes
available, or an old one is out of date, you would need to fix up all links
pointing to this page.
Instead a think a smarter mechanism would be to have just one URL for all
languages with an additional GET-parameter, e.g.:

http://rkward.sourceforge.net/overview.php?lang=FR
or
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/overview.php/?lang=FR (see below)

It would then be the responsibility of overview.php to include the correct
translation - if available. Also, if the lang-parameter is not given, we
could use some magic to figure out the best language available based on the
users preferences set in the browser.

C.IV Pages
One of the things we should consider IMO when redesigning the web-pages, is to
use a slightly more elegant approach that does not require us to write all
those dummy .php files. One solution I once came up with and still kind of
like goes roughly like this:

in .htaccess redirect all directory indexes to a (single) special handler:
DirectoryIndex /handler.php

In this handler we figure out, which directory we're really in (parsing the
request URL) and then include template, contents, and potentially some
control files. What this means is that for each page we will have a separate
directory. The directory layout on disk is identical to the one served (i.e.
no database lookup, http://rkward.sf.net/devel/somesection/somepage/ will
really be kept in htdocs/deve/somsection/somepage/). Access to non-existing
directories get the usual Apache-handling (generating a 404) automatically.
Also, by specifying not the directory, but a particular file in the URL, the
handler.php will be bypassed (very practical, e.g. for serving PDF and
image).
I can send you some code I already have for this (I'll have to clean up some
project specific stuff first, however). However I have not implemented a
mechanism for translations in that project, yet (should be quite doable).

Ok, this is a lot of comments. But apart from these things I really like your
proposal, and I think it will make the rkward-website a LOT better than it is
today.