[RkWard-devel] [ rkward-Feature Requests-1021808 ] More terminal like console

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 15 18:18:28 UTC 2005

Feature Requests item #1021808, was opened at 2004-09-03 15:03
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by tfry
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=459010&aid=1021808&group_id=50231

Category: Console
Group: None

Initial Comment:
R CONSOLE

 Question: with the new command editor, what sould be
 the R Console windos? Many people/scientist use R in
 console and find usefull coding inside a terminal window.
 S-Plus erroneous was wrong about it in the past and we
 need to avoid this way: a user-friendly interface is a
 "flexible" interface that could be easy but not stupid, that
 suggest a simple way to do things but offer "other" ways
 for geeks.

 IMHO, the R Console sould be a classical terminal
 window with R command line. A user will code inside this
 terminal with our loaded workspace and without any
 "Run" or "Reset" buttons. This capability port us to some
 problems: when a user run commands, we need a
 sub-layer that control what happen (eg. removing an
 object in the workspace with "rm(my.data)" sould update
 the "Workspace" window (ex-Objects Browser)
 and close the data.frame window in Main). This kind of
 control is a must.

 An expert-user without classical R console could open
 rkward and an external xterm+R console to work on the
 same workspace. RKWard need to lock activities
 on the workspace area and address the use of rkward::R
 console instead.

 Schema:
  rkward -> load workspace and lock activities on it
  rkward-RConsole -> any code will be passed to a control
 layer.

(originally submitted by danielemedri)