[RkWard-devel] [ rkward-Feature Requests-1021786 ] RKWard 0.2.7: proposals

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 3 13:04:34 UTC 2004

Feature Requests item #1021786, was opened at 2004-09-03 14:22
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by tfry
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=459010&aid=1021786&group_id=50231

Category: Interface Improvements (example)
Group: Next Release (example)

Initial Comment:

TERMS AND CONCEPTS
On main window, I suggest to maintain the "File" entry
instead of "Workspace". It's a classical form and,
thinking on localization, could be usefull. In
italian this could be translated in "Area di Lavoro" and
isn't good. Other change is for the "Windows" menu that
sould contain these entries:

"Show R Console"
"Show Output"
"Show Workspace"
"----------------------------"
"Open Command Editor"

LOCALIZATION PROCESS
Create the rkward.po file in the po/ directory.

OBJECTS BROWSER WINDOW
There could be some confusion with the terms "Objects
Browser" and "Workspace". I think that spin to
"Workspace" could be a good concept because
this classify "objects" in a working activity.

The object browser window sould change:
 - title: s/Objects in the R workspace/Workspace/
 - s/<R Workspace>/Objects/

Actually the "type" field value isn't shown.

When things are going to stability, Everaldo (or friends)
could help us to realize glad icons for every kind of object
(eg. icon for data.frame, icon for variables, ect.) in the
Crystal theme fashion.

R CONSOLE

Question: with the new command editor, what sould be
the R Console windos? Many people/scientist use R in
console and find usefull coding inside a terminal window.
S-Plus erroneous was wrong about it in the past and we
need  to avoid this way: a user-friendly interface is a
"flexible" interface that could be easy but not stupid, that
suggest a simple way to do things but offer "other" ways
for geeks.

IMHO, the R Console sould be a classical terminal
window with R command line. A user will code inside this
terminal with our loaded workspace and without any
"Run" or "Reset" buttons. This capability port us to some
problems: when a user run commands, we need a
sub-layer that control what happen (eg. removing an
object in the workspace with "rm(my.data)" sould update
the "Workspace" window (ex-Objects Browser)
and close the data.frame window in Main). This kind of
control is a must.

An expert-user without classical R console could open
rkward and an external xterm+R console to work on the
same workspace. RKWard need to lock activities
on the workspace area and address the use of rkward::R
console instead.

Schema:
 rkward -> load workspace and lock activities on it
 rkward-RConsole -> any code will be passed to a control
layer.