[RkWard-devel] RKWard development docs online

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Aug 29 18:51:13 UTC 2004

Hi!

> I'm not sure I really understand your question, but I'll try.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. But you guessed right - that's what I was trying
to ask ;-)

> As you've read, plugins can call each other: that's what happens here.
> Basically the data-editor plugin (GUI stuff) calls the data-center plugin
> (non GUI) which will do the job (something alike
> values=datacenter.get("myvariable")) . If you want to edit the type of your
> variable, use the dataformat-editor (GUI stuff) that will then call a
> dataformat-center  plugin (non-GUI). Much like the varselector, there is a
> list of available variables.

Ok, I understand now. Well, in RKWard those "central plugins" like the
datacenter would be hardcoded C+-classes. But in a way it still translates.

> I don't know, but I suppose so. With wxPython, my app kept
> creating/destroying widgets dynamically, which were all members of the same
> hierarchy (they all depended on the top level window), and lived in the
> same event loop. That's why I suppose it would be possible.

Yes, and from the docs you refer to, it sounds like it should be doable, too.
Well that gives some interesting new perspectives. It will take another while
before I start looking at them in more detail, however.
The next release (to come soon) will concentrate on a few GUI-enhancemnents,
and on the technical side comes with an own R convenience library. For the
release after that I plan to rework the RObject-handling yet again, though
only slightly this time (whereever possible data-changes will be synced to
the R workspace as soon as possible, so not modification tracking will be
needed on the RObjects, and it will be easier to allow several editor windows
to work on the same data in some future release). After that I plan on adding
the missing link from R to RKWard, i.e. the basic ability to call RKWard
plugins and maybe some other functions from the R-shell.
After those changes are done, I think I will have a closer look. Probably the
first step will be to try to work in pyQt-support into the current
plugin-framework - the more generic plugins would be added later. Of course,
if you're interested in trying your luck in this area, I won't stop you ;-).