[RkWard-devel] RKWard 0.2.5

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Aug 24 15:54:20 UTC 2004

Hi Daniele,

> Is this already i18n ready?

The main application and its classes are i18n ready, although likely there are
quite a few strings that I forgot to put the "i18n()" around. Personally, I
don't know how to actually make a translation from that, but it should be all
you need.
The plugins (the stuff currently accessible via the "Analyse"-Menu) are a
different thing here. There does not yet exist a framework for i18n in the
plugins, yet. Also this will not be quite as easy to accomplish.
Actually there are two different matters at hand: The strings in the
plugin-GUIs should not be much of a problem. We'll just use some simple
lookup-tables or the like, then for every plugin you'd add such a table. If a
string can be looked up successfully, it will be shown translated, else it
will fall back to English. Something along those lines. Should be
straightforward, but is not implemented, yet.
The output the plugins produce is an entirely different beast, and I don't
really have a good idea on how to go about this, yet. The output is generated
in R-syntax, and there is no separation between functionality and
string-content. I don't have a good idea on how to deal with this, yet. I do
have some bad ones, though, so there is no problem in principle ;-). One bad
idea would be to simply provide separate versions for the plugins for each
language. A maintainance nightmare, but it could be done right now.
So the answer to your question is "partially".

> May I translate it in Italian lang?

Of course, you may do so. You should be aware, however, that a lot of strings
will still change frequently, and translating it may be a tedious and
potentially frustrating task. It's up to you to decide, whether you want to
take that risk. But it would certainly be a welcome contribution!